Historic Logan Circle
Logan Circle is a neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C.. Logan Circle lies six blocks east of Dupont Circle and together they form a triangle with the White House. The actual traffic circle is the intersection of 13th Street, P Street, Rhode Island Avenue and Vermont Avenue, with a federal park in the middle. The neighborhood designates itself with the borders of S Street to the north, 9th Street to the east, 16th Street to the west, and Massachusetts Avenue to the south.
Originally called “Iowa Circle,” Logan was renamed by Congress in 1930 in honor of John A. Logan, a Civil War general and U.S. senator. At the center of the circle is a monument to Major General Logan. The circle is surrounded by many old homes, one of which belonged to the son of American Civil War General and U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant.
In the past decade, the area has revitalized, and housing costs have soared. The commercial corridor along 14th Street NW is undergoing significant revitalization; as of 2005, it is known for both art galleries and live theater. A number of new bars and restaurants have opened on the street as well. This has been assisted by the economic development of the U Street Corridor several blocks north. A watershed event in the development of the neighborhood was the opening of a new, busy Whole Foods Market two blocks from Logan Circle in 1999, on a site previously occupied by an abandoned parking garage.
Logan Circle continues to be a culturally diverse neighborhood with much to offer.
This text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.